The project entails the development of a substantial iron ore mining, processing and transport infrastructure, including coastal stockpiling and export shipping facilities located in the Pilbara region of Western Australia (refer Location map). Stage 1 of the project is based on a JORC resource of 1.47 billion tonnes of pisolite iron ore deposits located 30 to 85 km south west of Pannawonica. Considerable project growth is expected over subsequent development stages underpinned by current additional JORC iron ore resources in excess of 1.2 billion tonnes (Stage 2). Active exploration programmes continue across the highly prospective and extensive tenement portfolio located in the West Pilbara.
Stage 1 of the project is envisaged to comprise:
- Iron ore mining and export at a minimum rate of ~40 million tonnes per annum.
- Simultaneous mining of multiple pisolite deposits located on the western region of the Hamersley Ranges.
- Conventional open pit mining methodology coupled with an extensive road haulage network delivering ore to central processing facilities.
- Central ore processing and materials handling facility (crushing, screening, stockpiling, train loading).
- Operations support infrastructure (accommodation village, aerodrome, mine administration, power generation, workshops/warehouses, water supply, communications networks).
- A 245 km heavy haul railway from the mine area to a port location at Anketell Point, 25 km east of Karratha.
- Export shipping from new deepwater port at Anketell Point handling Cape class vessels.
- Integrated Operations Centre located in Perth.